Monday, January 4, 2010

Coupon Tip (1/4/10) - Getting Organized!

Photobucket

I had a recent request from a reader asking if I would do a coupon tip on how I keep my coupons organized (Hi waiting! I don't know your real name so that will have to do! And yes, I realize my use of the word "recent" is stretching it!!) It's a new year and time to get organized!

So when I looked at how I keep things organized I realized, I'm not as organized as I like to think I am. In fact one might even say its more like organized chaos...but it works for me. So that is the real tip here...find what works for YOU and stick with it.

Here's how I organize things. I have a coupon file (just a regular ole one) that I carry with me in the car ALL.THE.TIME. I never leave home without it. Sometimes I leave it in the car but I know its always there if I need to run back out and get it.

Photobucket

In here are coupons that I know or think I will probably use. How do I know which coupons to clip for in there? Well, its just stuff that I buy regularly (like our favorite cereals, yogurt, frozen foods, ice cream, paper products, etc) and stuff that I know goes on sale often that I've use the coupons for those items in the past (like conagra, nabisco, campbell's). I have them organized into categories (baby, canned goods, snacks, perishables, frozen, grains, personal items, cleaning, paper products, kitchen, frees and restaurants).

I only clip what I know I may use, everything else I keep intact as a whole insert. I store them like this on my desk:

Photobucket

I used to keep 18 months worth until Jewel stopped accepting expireds. Now I keep about 9 months. This is what it looks like on the inside - MESSY LOL! Each insert is stored by week, but then in date order. Remember the date is on the spine on the insert so you can keep track which week it was from.

Photobucket

I also have a bin of non-insert coupons...tearpads that I've found in the store, special mailers, booklets, etc. I just did a MAJOR clean out over the holidays since I had a lot that were expiring at the end of the year. Here's what it looks like now:

Photobucket

I don't have a log of what's in that box (which is probably a good idea), but they are sorted by expiration date so that I can see what is expiring soon. I rely heavily on coupon databases to tell me where the coupons are for specific deals and lucky for me I have a somewhat photographic memory so if someone references a coupon I usually know whether or not if I have it.

So like I said, it's not really all that organized, but it works for me. I generally have my shopping trips planned, so before leave I make a list, pull all the coupons I will need and put them either in that front empty pocket of my file or in a separate envelope with my list stickied to it. I always bring my coupon file with too just in case I happen upon a deal that I wasn't planning on.

Many couponers like to use coupon binder systems (binders with baseball card sleeves) to keep their things organized. I haven't personally tried this but it seems like a great way to be able to see everything you have. This would probably work well if you like clipping everything (which is not something I advise but if it works for you, you should go for it).

Photobucket

Whatever method you choose, I HIGHLY recommend putting your name and phone number inside or outside or stickered all over your coupon file/binder. The.worst.feeling in the world is when you've left it behind somewhere and you're not sure if it will be there when you get back. At least if you have your contact information attached to it the store can call you or verify that its yours.

And before you even ask, yes - yes I have left mine behind in shopping carts several times. It can happen to anyone and my stomach drops to my feet every time it happens because to me, its one of my most valuable possessions. I know, it can all be replaced, but it would really stink to loose great coupons that you may not happen upon again (like all those frees that you get from emailing your favorite companies!!)

How do you stay organized? Was this post helpful for you?

Check out previous coupon tips here!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you! That helps alot. Right now I just keep my coupons in my wallet and it's getting too full. I need to invest in a coupon file. I really appreciate all your tips and information. I have only been following you for a couple months but I have saved over $150 so far- which isn't a lot to you I'm sure but I never clipped coupons or anything before. I'm so glad I stumbled upon your blog!
    Audra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Audra! Everyone has to start somewhere...and I remember being a new couponer (and by couponer I mean "serious" couponer, more than the occasional coupon here and there for my weekly shopping). It's a great feeling taking things home for little to no money! Be proud of that $150 savings! It's $150 more in your pocket than you would have had. Keep track this year and I bet you'll be AMAZED at what you will save :)!

    ReplyDelete