Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Coupon Tip - 12/8/09

Photobucket

I just mailed in a batch of rebates this morning and I thought I would make this week's coupon tip (even though it's a day late) a reminder about rebates.

You can save a lot of money by submitting rebates (even after you deduct the cost of the stamp). The cheapest way to submit rebates is online, so if they offer redemption online always go that route - you'll save yourself the stamp, your rebate will be processed more quickly and you get to keep your original receipt!

If you have no choice but to send them in the mail, ALWAYS make a copy of everything you send in for the rebate. The receipt, the official form and any UPCs or other requirements that you need to send. If you don't have access to a copy machine or a scanner, use your digital camera to take a picture. I'd say of all the rebates I've sent in I've only had to provide proof less than 5 times, but if I hadn't made a copy I'd be out that money.

Sometimes rebates get rejected because the processing company doesn't have their information straight with the manufacturer (since manufacturer's rarely managed their own rebates), for example they think you need to submit UPCs but it wasn't a requirement. Sometimes rebates get lost in the mail and you'd have no other proof that you sent it. If you have a copy you can always contact the company and resubmit (and you won't feel crazy when you KNOW you sent in what it said on the form!!)

Look for rebates attached to packages, online, in magazines & coupon inserts, or in the liquor department of your grocery store (many times there is no alcohol required for those rebates)!

I have saved $462.48 in rebates so far this year....they really can add up!

2 comments:

  1. For your coupon tip next week (or whenever) can you maybe give us insite on how you keep track of all your coupons- how you organize them and keep them up to date? I get flustered when I go to the store and then have to shuffle through all of mine. I haven't figured out a good system yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure! I'd be happy to share how I try to stay organized...there are a lot of different "systems", so I don't know if I how do it is the best for others...but I will definitely give it a shot! Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete