Did you know that nearly 22 million school days lost each year due to the common cold and flu (CDC)? Seventh Generation is sharing tips from best-selling author and pediatrician, Dr. Alan Greene, to help parents protect their child’s health during back-to-school season. Dr. Greene suggests taking the following precautions:
Optimize the immune system
- Reap the benefits of probiotics like those found in yogurt. A recent study showed that children who received enough probiotics daily throughout the cold and flu season had a significant reduction in the number of illnesses they had and, when they did get sick, the symptoms were both milder and didn't last as long.
- Be sure your child is getting plenty of vitamin D from the sun, from food, or from a supplement.
- Build a strong foundation. Good food, good sleep, and good physical activity all help the immune system to flourish.
Be wise about reducing unnecessary exposure to harmful germs
- Teach children the key times to clean their hands in the classroom. The most important times include after sneezing, coughing or using the restroom, upon leaving "high-risk" places (recess, naptime, play stations) and before meals or snacks.
- Sixty percent of teachers surveyed said that they request that parents donate disinfecting wipes to the classroom. Seventh Generation’s disinfecting wipes kill 99.99% of germs* naturally using the active ingredient thyme, a component of thyme oil which is derived from the herb thyme.
- Stress the importance of not touching their eyes, nose or mouth. Germs are often spread when a person touches something that is contaminated with germs and then touches his or her eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Demonstrate to your children how to cover their mouth and nose for every cough and sneeze. This simple maneuver has spectacular results in decreasing the spread of viruses and bacteria floating about the room, waiting to be inhaled.
*Refer to disinfecting product labels for full details
One lucky Bargain is the New Black reader will win a Seventh Generation Back-To-School Kit of their own that includes a Seventh Generation backpack, two canisters of Seventh Generation disinfecting wipes (one for home and one to donate to your child’s classroom), disinfecting multi-surface spray cleaner, facial tissue and paper towels!
By hosting this giveaway, My Blog Spark also provided me with one of these kits and I can't rave enough about Seventh Generation cleaning products....I feel so good cleaning my home with cleaners that I feel are safe for my family! I do have to say although I like the idea of recycled paper products, I'm not a huge fan of the paper towels or the tissues, but you'll have to check them out and let me know what you think.
Here's how to enter - Fill out the form below and share a tip on how you keep your kids healthy and germ free (MANDATORY for your entries to count)!
Additional Entries (you must fill out the form and submit it again for additional entries, just refresh the page to get a new form):
- Follow my blog on Google on the right hand bar (or tell me you already do)
- Subscribe to my newsletter on the right hand bar (or tell me you already do)
- Repost this giveaway to your blog or to your facebook (and let me know)
This giveaway will end on Sunday August 29th at midnight. A winner will be selected by random.org on Monday August 30th and the winner will be notified. If I do not here from the winner within 48 hours I will select a new winner. Good Luck!
Disclosure: I was not paid to write this post but I was provided with a Seventh Generation Back To School Kit from My Blog Spark and Seventh Generation for myself as well as information to share about keeping your child healthy this school season. All opinions are my own.